Visit Freekibble.com!

Visit Freekibble.com!
Help feed shelter dogs!!

Friday, April 18, 2008

What a RANDOM holiday

As I had written before, one of the things we learned in the aftermath of Watson's cancer is that pet insurance is a necessity. Watson was not insured and the cost of his care was startling. We insured Waldo with Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) soon after Watson was diagnosed.

I got an email from VPI this morning with the subject line "Happy Pet Parents Day". Huh? It turns out that VPI is pulling a Hallmark-esque marketing move and designated the last Sunday in April as Pet Parent’s Day. Their site says: "Our first Pawsitively Purrfect day for celebrating pet caregivers falls on April 27, 2008." You can even send an e-card to commemorate the day.

For the record, I am not a huge fan of "Hallmark holidays" like Valentine's Day (basically any holiday that was created to further useless consumption). Frankly, I am not sure of the point of Pet Parents Day other than a marketing tool for VPI and a way to collect personal information from people who send and receive their e-cards.

If the day were being used to help a pet charity or to raise awareness about animal abuse or animal adoption, then I would be on board. I don't think the world needs another meaningless "holiday". What do you think??

2 comments:

Phil said...

Yeah, another pointless day, but I prefer that to say Valentines day or something. It should be for animal charitites rather than self-gain too yes! :]

HandH said...

Well, I know a lot of people who have pets rather than kids, so when are they ever going to get a Mother's or Father's day card? Everyone with kids generally has to buy their own Mother's Day card, at least for the first 20 years or so, so why not buy yourself a card from the dog as well? I know it's just a moneymaking scheme for the card companies, but I like the idea of a day to celebrate pet-parenting!