Visit Freekibble.com!

Visit Freekibble.com!
Help feed shelter dogs!!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It's a cyst!

Went to the vet today to have a look at Waldo's bump. She's 95% sure that it's a sebaceous cyst. Whew. I've never had a lumpy dog, but apparently these cysts are common in bassets. Dr. Karen says it will probably be the first of many bumps on him.

We could opt to have it surgically removed, but that would mean he'd be anesthetized just for one cyst. Anesthesia is very low risk, but why risk it at all for something benign. We decided to just keep an eye on it and see if it gets any bigger or starts to bother him more. In the meantime, she recommended that we put a warm washcloth on it to see if we can get it to go away.

Now I feel silly for being so alarmed over a bump... but I would rather err on the side of caution than to wait for something obviously bad to happen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Linda, I'm sooooo relieved!! I've been thinking about you all week, hoping for news like this. You weren't silly in being concerned, just a loving human mommy to Waldo. Take care, I hope the warm washcloth helps.

HandH said...

Whew! I knew a Gordon setter used to get these, by the time he was old, he had lumps everywhere, but they didn't seem to bother him too much. Hope Waldo's OK,

H